Thursday, February 6, 2014

What NOT to say..

All day long I get texts, FB messages, and phone calls saying pretty much the same thing: "I don't know what to say"...or even worse...they say something that upsets me. "Just relax!", "You're still young", "I didn't even have to try!", "It will happen!"...and sooo much more! It basically boils down to the fact that they can't relate to my situation and it doesn't really occur to them that they could be saying something that offends or upsets me.
There is no "relaxing" when struggling with infertility. Infertility is a disease. Would you tell someone with cancer or an amputated leg to "just relax" and they will be healed? Of course not! Those may not be the best analogies but, whatever..you get my point.
Yes, I'm young, but I may not be by the time we actually conceive. Some women struggle for many many years before they get pregnant. If at all.
Glad you didn't have to try??? Gloating about it pisses me off. I don't think I need to elaborate any more than that.
It may never happen...that is the reality of infertility and something we have to cope with on a daily basis.  
I came across a post on pinterest a while back about what NOT to say to someone struggling to conceive. So I'm posting it here in hopes that it may shine a light on this issue.

This site only touches on the things that could potentially upset someone struggling with infertility. 
A big issue(at least for me)..is the offer to carry a child FOR me. I have had numerous offers and each time I politely explain that it wont be necessary. 
This upsets me because they assume that I can't carry a baby. That is not my issue. My issue is the actual ovulation and conception. My uterus is in great shape and wont have an issue carrying a child(God willing). 
So while I am flattered that many of my friends and family are willing to carry a child for me, it is very hurtful. If carrying a child was our issue, we wouldn't have been going through all of these fertility treatments to get pregnant. But..I guess it's my fault for not explaining our situation fully. That is another main reason why I started this blog. People are ignorant about my infertility and infertility in general. Even though 1 in 10 women will struggle with infertility in their lifetime. 




2 comments:

  1. Holly Perkins-SanchezMarch 6, 2014 at 3:00 AM

    I really like this. I have a hard time knowing what to say and am always scared im going to piss you off or something like that :P a lot of times we dont really talk about it but being so far away from you guys... i wanna be involved! but you know me lol idk anything about this and i am one of those ignorants. I like knowing about it!:) and love you for sharing! and love you period!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha you do not piss me off :) you have been with me almost from the beginning of this journey and I will be forever great full for it :) love and miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete