Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Left Needing Answers

Alright guys! I am sorry it has taken me so long to get this post up but we have been through a very crazy past few days and it has taken a toll on us emotionally and physically.

Ok during my last post I told you guys that my numbers weren't going up like they should and they didn't think that this would be a viable pregnancy.
Well...that hasn't changed..but the reasoning behind it has changed a few times.
Before Friday, they thought that it might be a tubal pregnancy because of the way my numbers were slowly going up. But on Friday when I went in for my ultrasound, our doctor thought that it was probably in my uterus and was just an early miscarriage.
We were somewhat relieved by this because the thought of an ectopic pregnancy scared us more than an early loss because with an ectopic pregnancy, your chance of having another goes up quite a bit(roughly 30%).
I also had a lot of questions for the doctor.
One miscarriage is very normal...but a second is not.
So I wanted his opinion on why this was happening and what we would do to prevent this from happening again.
He told us that after my levels went back down to zero, we would be doing a series of blood tests to determine if I had some sort of vitamin deficiency, blood clotting disorder, or autoimmune disorder. Each of which he told me can be treated with either blood thinners or extra vitamins.
But the first step was to "pass" this pregnancy and get my numbers back down to zero.
So he gave me a prescription for Cyclotec, which I was supposed to take vaginally and pass everything within one to two days.
So Friday night i took it and nothing happened. Then I took a second dose on Saturday and again...nothing happened. No spotting...no cramping..nothing. This worried me! How can this stuff not work??
So I called the doctor and he had me come back in on Monday morning to see what was going on.
So I went in and he did another ultrasound. Thats when I asked him what would be the reason that the medicine didn't work??
He said it usually points to tubal pregnancy.
ughhhh!!!
That was the last thing I wanted to hear!!!!
But then he said something that I definitely didn't want to hear..that I would be having another D&C the next day :(
While the first one was quick and I healed great, I hate the idea of major surgery. I have had my fair share of surgery in my life and the thought of being put under, yet again, was enough to make me sick to my stomach.
But what choice did I have??

So the game plan was to have the D&C and if my hCG levels went down then the pregnancy was in my uterus...if not then it would be considered in my tube and I would have to take a low dose chemo shot in order to get rid of the pregnancy without surgery.

So yesterday I went in and had another D&C and while my doctor said this one would be easier since I wasn't as far along, it was quite the opposite! Last time I had almost no bleeding, no nausea, and no cramping...but this time I had it all. Nothing crazy but definitely not what I was thinking.
But its over and that is all that matters!
The next hurdle was to make sure that my levels dropped so that we could rule out a tubal pregnancy and hopefully move on!

So I went in this morning for my post op checkup and blood work.
They called me this afternoon and my levels had DROPPED from 109 to 42!!!! This was amazing news!!! The numbers were showing that the pregnancy wasn't in my tube and moving forward seemed less daunting!

So now I will go back Friday(and probably weekly) until my levels get back down to zero then we can do the blood work to see what is causing our multiple miscarriages and hopefully it is something we can fix easily so we can finally have a baby!!!

Thank you for all the positive thoughts and prayers!
I will keep you updated as we move forward!




No comments:

Post a Comment